Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Page 63 of 315 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast
    Legend

Gater, thanks for taking the time to post a list of the things to look out for on the PE front.

When I was in plaster I was prescribed self-administered blood thinning injections every night. I do have a minor inherited tendency to clot but the doctor also said this was standard practice in France, and spelt it out that PE was a real danger. As per my previous posts, I'm kind of surprised that nowhere else seems to have this regime.

On the same subject, towards the end of my time in plaster I took a couple of 2-hour plane rides and, seeking both to skive out of the injections which I hated and also to sound out the doctor, I casually asked him if taking an aspirin before the flight was a good alternative to thinning the blood. Unusually he became very animated and said "That's not enough!" Not Enough!" All this was in French hence my stilted description but the message got through well enough.

Pete B, I skim read your post and thought that you had had a 2 hour plane ride and skydived !!

I will be flying to Paris next Wednesday for a one week holiday. Planning to visit Disneyland for a day, play a little golf and walk the sights of the city. Should be a real test for my 10 week post op leg - not taking a walking boot or crutches !!

My walking is improving, still very much flat footed and limping - improves every day.

Legend

MarkF - sounds like you are off crutches already? Tellus how you get on with the golf. I may be playing in a couple of weeks, just under 12 weeks post-op and pretty much as soon as I'm allowed to go FWB - I'd like some reassurance that it's not too soon...Skydiving!! That bending the knees bit at the end is a bit beyond me for now, I reckon!

MARK F. Enjoy your holiday.

I would take a walking stick for two reasons, first is obvious, second you may get the sympathy vote with queing, bags taken up for you, etc.

Worked a treat for me in Corfu!

2 1/2 days now til cast off!

Legend

DAVID G - good luck. Hope Mr Jenkins comes up trumps.

PETEB - how's the driving going?

Unhappy

Hi all, quick update, went back to hospital last week thinking i would get my first cast off, saw the doc and asked him all the questions i wanted to ask the day i ruptured, he told me the cast was coming off that day and would be replaced with the foot angle altered, he asked if i would like to see the senior conultant to put my mind fully at ease, great news he told me all i wanted to hear regarding the poss outcomes but then insisted the cast stay on a further two weeks before it is changed, this will be six weeks in the same cast, i was so looking forward to getting some air in there for a while, but get this, after the next cast goes on, two weeks later that will be replaced by heel lifts in my normal shoes, no walking boot, im bricking it, 8 weeks in cast then no support anyone else had this done please let me know. alan

Hi-
    My name is Mark and I just joined this group in need of a little support.
    I ruptured my Ach Ten on July 12, surgery was July 19. Other than the sickness I felt upon waking up from surgery, I feel very good. I am in the 4th week since surgery with a cast.
    I am a little confused. You all seem to be going through pt, but my doctor told me they wanted to avoid that if they could by moving my foot each time I came in for a check up. I believe I am at 90% right now and, like I said, I feel fine. Do some doctors pass on pt? This is a county hospital and I am feeling unsure about not having pt when the cast comes off.
    I have also been keeping my leg elevated at work and at home. At home it's higher than at work and I just veg before I go to sleep. I have mastered my crutches and could probably dedicate a talk show timeslot to the ways of getting around and managing oneself on crutches
    I guess I would like to know what the longest a cast stays on and what does it feel like to walk again with both feet? I miss it so much.
    Thank- I appreciate any advise.
    Mark

Gator's PE story scared me because I am pushing so hard in rehab. I will definitely start back on the aspirin. I am eight weeks post op today. My recovery has been very good. I am doing some very advanced balancing and strength exercises for my bad leg. I am now able to do 100 two legged standing calf raises in almost perfect balance with a pause at the top and bottom. I have some swelling after but it always goes away with sleep and ice. I'll be playing my first round of golf tomorrow and I'm not really worry about me leg holding up. I will be taking a cart though. Full stretch and really am not worried about a re rupture, but I am still careful. My calf muscle is now fully activated with my calf raises, but it is still smaller than my good one. Will start ice skating within the next 4 weeks. Good luck all.

WROBZEUS - you are my inspiration

I'm now 10 days post op and I just got my staples out today. After I got my first look at a now atrophied leg, my doc told me about my agressive treatment.

So I get the splint off and he puts me an air walking boot at neutral position. After one week before surgery and 10 days after with my toes pointed down, getting it to neutral was quite an experience. He said it's really up to me how much weight to put on it, since it's pretty well protected inside the boot. I want to give my tendon a few days at neutral before I start some PWB on that leg. With luck, I can be walking without crutches in two weeks. He also said I can start doing some very light stretching next week to try to gently increase the range of motion.

Three weeks from now, I go back and start PT. Now that I see how early mobilization in healthy young people can work - I have a lot of confidence. I just need to keep myself in check and not push too far too fast.

Legend

alanw - I had 6 1/2 weeks in casts then nothing, not even wedges, just a normal shoe (a bit tight to begin with because of swelling). Only allowed a little weight on the bad foot initially, adding a few kilos each few days. I am now 8 1/2 weeks post op and the physio says I can go FWB in a couple of weeks.

MikeBNR & WROBZEUS - amazing progress! I must admit I wouldn't have chanced putting my weight on my bad foot so early. A few weeks ago it looked as if the consensus on these pages was that the mended AT was not up to full strength until 12 weeks post op, but the regime you guys are taking seems to contradict that. However, just to get it straight, I think that the RR stories that led me to the 12 weeks conclusion were to do with a sudden strain on the AT - like bouncing, or an abrupt heel raise. I'm no physicist but I bet that puts many times more pressure on the AT than normal activity. What do you think? Does the aggressive treatment involve trampolining etc at an early stage?

AmiS - Going for a drive today! See y'all on the whiplash board!