Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Thumbs down chiro and innate intelligence

i was wondering if any one else had been given the "talking to" by their chiro about the innate intelligence which he said was an inner being that lives inside everyone and any spinal abnormality will lead to it not flowing around your insides correctly and lead to asthma, ruptured ACL's, and haemrhoids etc. I went to see a new chiro last week about my back pain that started the day before. he went through the usual history, sent me off for xrays etc. i mentioned that i am currently suffering from haemrhoids, he then went on to tell me that by cracking my back he would be able to fix my back pain and haemrhoids in the next 6 months, but i had to sign up for a contract for 3 times a week for the next 6 months and he would give me a 20% discount if i paid up front. i therefore have 2 questions
    1 has any one had their haemrhoids cured by having their back cracked
    2 does it normally take this long to fix back pain
    any help would be much appreciated as i am due to see him in a couple of days time

Super Moderator

1) There is no evidence that spinal manipulation can treat haemorrhoids and there is no biologically plausible mechanism for improvement.
    2) 80% of back pain will improve in 2-4 weeks. Complex conditions can take longer. 10% of simple cases progress beyond 3 months and become chronic.
    3) Published guidelines for acute low back pain generally advocate an approach to management that includes advice to: remain active, modify activity, remove only those activities that specifically aggravate and potential replace with other non aggravating activity (relative rest). Good level evidence exists for spinal manipulative therapy and this is advocated in many published guidelines as a treatment approach.
    4) Do not return to the chiropractor who made the recommendations. I'd suggest finding another practitioner, regardless of flavour, who will offer a combination approach of manipulative therapy, massage and will then progress to an active approach incorporating exercise therapy and discharge.

As a Chiro this shits me to tears. I don't treat haemorrhoids as SMT as far as I'm aware won't help. Not a fan of any contracts either. Don't get me started there.
    As for innate intelligence, can I elaborate. I often don't use this explanation as ppl get confused/sceptical or whatever BUT it refers to some of the automation within the body. eg you don't consciously make your lungs breath, your heart pump or a scab to form when you break the skin or other tissue repair such as when you hurt your back. These are all examples and transmitted by nerves that can be adversely affected by spinal function. Hope you can find a better practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Whoskins
    1) There is no evidence that spinal manipulation can treat haemorrhoids and there is no biologically plausible mechanism for improvement.
    2) 80% of back pain will improve in 2-4 weeks. Complex conditions can take longer. 10% of simple cases progress beyond 3 months and become chronic.
    3) Published guidelines for acute low back pain generally advocate an approach to management that includes advice to: remain active, modify activity, remove only those activities that specifically aggravate and potential replace with other non aggravating activity (relative rest). Good level evidence exists for spinal manipulative therapy and this is advocated in many published guidelines as a treatment approach.
    4) Do not return to the chiropractor who made the recommendations. I'd suggest finding another practitioner, regardless of flavour, who will offer a combination approach of manipulative therapy, massage and will then progress to an active approach incorporating exercise therapy and discharge.
    I agree, I think that you should not return to the chiropractor who made the recommendations. Unfortunately I have had really good and really bad experiences with them. I have found that osteo's are very good at treating lower back pain. I have a weak lower back and often get back pain and found that the osteo could manipulate the muscles without having to crack my back every time I went to visit him.

It does however disappoint me how there are chiro's who force you to join contracts.. Treatment for injuries should not be dealt in this way. It should be recommended based on both the practitioner and the patient's view on their progress. Plus over manipulation and cracking of the spine in my view is not a good thing.

Excellent reasoned responses from all repliees, well done folks.

Gronk, I agree with all their statements. You need to see a different health professional. Like any service industry, the quality of musculoskeletal therapy is dictated by the market. If the market believes the voodoo clap trap and dubious ethical practices of a few charlatans then they will continue to practice. If however, we as consumers can see through their unsubstatiated claims and greed driven payment plans, we can limit the spread of their nonsense.

Hopefully this will allow those practitioners who supply high quality, evidence based assessment and compassionate and well planned treatment, the chance to quickly and cost effectively help more people in pain.

If you need some help with finding someone new , talk to your friends and family to see which therapists have actually helped them. If that's no good, I'm sure the forum users can recommend some one to you.
    Don't tell me that I'm crazy
    Don't tell me I'm nowhere
    Take it from me
    It's hip to be square
    --------------------------Huey Lewis