Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Talus injury after 2 1/2 years

I am 50 years old and broke my talus bone 2 1/2 years ago by jumping a motorcyle and landing too hard. At the time of the injury I searched the internet for information and forum threads. I'm sure others with this injury are doing the same so I thought that I would share my experience. I went to an orthopedic surgeon within a few days of the injury. The surgeon suspected a broken talus and ordered a CT scan to confirm. He could not tell without the scan and the scan confirmed the broken bone. I had surgery within a few days. I was non-weight bearing on crutches with a boot for about 3 months and was off work with my leg elevated for about the first month. I walked with the boot for about 4-6 weeks after I got off crutches. I did about 4-5 sessions of therapy while I was still wearing the boot. After I stopped using the boot I took it very easy for about a year. The end result is that my ankle feels pretty good, I would say about 60%. I was told to only do low impact activities so I don't run. If I stand on it for long periods of time it gets sore but not too bad. It's also stiff when I get up in the morning but loosens up pretty quickly. I was a tournament level water skier, or thought I was, before the injury. I started skiing again after about 14 months and while skiing the ankle feels 100%. It probably helps that the ankle is locked in a boot and doesn't move much. I also have snow skied and it also feels fine. I have tried running and feels fine but I don't want to risk it. I live in Tuscon Arizona and my doctor is Kevin W. Bowers M.D. and I highly recommend him. Good Luck to others with this injury and I hope this helps.

Default Talus Break

I broke my Talus 6 mos ago racing MX(came up short on a triple jump). I had partially shattered it along with the calcaneous. 2 screws later to the neck of the Talus, I am now walking with a cain but the ankle a foot are very stiff and sore. I cannot fully bend my big toe which is causing me problems walking. My ankle is turned inward and therapy keeps trying to straighten it out. No signs of AVN but the doc says that I'm not out of the woods yet (concerns me). My foot has pins and needles on the bottom and feels very weird - almost numb. Do you have that problem?

My doc says to try water therapy like swimming to help get the foot moving. Otherwise he thinks I'm doing well. I don't know if he's just saying that.

I've broken many bones but nothing like this. I cannot believe how stiff and sore my ankle is every day. Any idea when I can expect to feel better. 1 year, 2 years? I wish someone could tell me if your foot ever feels normal again and what makes it so numb?

Thanks for any feedback out there.

Default Fractured lateral process - talus

Hi there
    After a moderate snowboard fall in Feb 06 I was initially diagnosed with a grade 2 syndesmosis sprain - xrays didn't show any bone problems. I started rehab, and to cut a long story short ended up walking on a broken talus for 8 months before it was correctly diagnosed via MRI & CT scan. It was a fractured lateral process of the talus, also known as 'snowboarder's fracture'. My surgery was in December 06, had one screw installed, and now 6 months later I still walk like a cowboy, but unassisted.

I have lost feeling (but not movement) in three toes from the surgery, as the nerve network across the outside of the foot/ankle was opened during the procedure. I still have numbness & tingling on the outside of my foot, massage tends to help with that. It has gotten better over time, and the nerves can take 6 - 12 months to regroup apparently. I still have sharp pain around my achilles when I point my foot, which is most likely tendonitis, although is proving very hard to shift.

I am spending about half an hour per day on a wobble board, which is helping alot with the range of movement and stiffness. The ankle is still very stiff every morning, but tends to loosen up quickly now. I still can?t jog or run, but have developed a weird high-speed shuffle that gets me through traffic (I never liked running anyway!). Apart from that I'm back on an exercise bike, rowing machine & lots of walking, which still hurts. I take a disgusting amount of glucosamine supplements which really do work - if you have any related cartilage issues I strongly recommend it.

Next weekend will be my first day back on the slopes with the new hardware, I?ll report back either way...

Thanks for the encouragement. I am almost 2 years out and had a subtalus fusion 6 months ago. I am very active and I was up on skies last year even though I was in lots of pain. I coach cheerleading and I am a hands on coach. I am not able to flatten my foot in a squat position but it will not stop me. I ride dirt bikes but now I where dirt bike boots. They are just about as supportive as ski boots as you know. They used cadaver bone with my fusion and removed parts of my own bones. I just had the last screw taken out. I have been in PT for a long time. And I guess I will stay in PT for a while longer. I can't take no for an answer.

Default Frustrated with Talus fracture

I am so happy to have found this thread! It often feels as though I am all alone with this type of injury. In fact so many people don't even seem to know what the 'Talus' is.

I have been struggling with a Talus fracture since I was hit head on in a car accident, in February 2007! I am currently awaiting surgery sometime in November 2008! Yes that is right! It has been over a year.

At the beginning it was about seeing if the fracture would heal, (as well as my many other injuries) so after 8 weeks in a cast I found out that it had not healed and was put into a 'air cast' I was in that for 7 months! Now I am wearing a brace and have limited movement. I walk with a cane and my activities are next to nil, other than physio 3 times a week. My most recent CT showed thinning of the bone so that has added to my pain level. I also have a tendon that is out of place.

It often feels as if it will never get better! Does it get better, will I ever walk normal again? Will I be able to do the things that I used to do? Will this ever be over???????

Hi, Cookie; it will not get better until you have the surgery, unless it was a very slight break. The tendon being displaced is a big part of your pain. I jumped off a ladder to avoid being killed by a falling roof truss 7 months ago. Shattered the calcaneous, broke the tibia at the talus joint, etc. Surgery the next day, with screws, plate, and other hardware. I've been back to work (I'm a general contractor) for 2 months, and the foot hurts the whole time I'm on it. Going to a fitness center, taking glucosamine, icing the foot some days after work, and refusing to have the fusion done. It is slowly getting better; I'm functioning the best I can, and I can see slow improvement, except on rainy days, when it feels like I went back 3 months in time. Thanks for this thread, and I wish all of you who have similar injuries the best!

Angry Double Leg/Ankle Injury

Hi, (44 yr old male) Racing Motorcross, Cased a Triple, stuck the bike on the face of a 65' Step-up, flipped over the handle bars and layed on the top of the triple w/Two Broken legs and ankles. Rushed to the ER, Left leg has 2 screws in the Tibia near the ankle joint and 5 screws in the Talus. Shattered Right leg, Tibia & Fibula down by the ankle joint, surgeon counted about 8 breaks, resulting in 3 Plates and 18 Screws. Accident occured on May 11th. 3 surgery's with in 2 wks. Hospital bed at home for 1 month. started to crawl after a month w/minimal pain, been crawling ever since to this date Sept 17. Still not able to weight bare on either leg. Went to Dr's 3 wks ago and signs of AVN are showing. Return to the Dr's tomorrow for a MRI to confirm whether or not the Talus bone is dying. Hopefully get good news and be able to start weight baring. Not sure what the options are if the Talus bone is showing signs of dying. Has anyone out there have any insight on something similar.

Default Talus injury

Hi -- Thanks so much for this thread. Confirms what my surgeaon has said - that this is an ususual and 'life changing' injury. A am a 49 year old female -- I fell from a ladder two years ago. Had mutiple breaks in my Talus, went to ER and they reset the bone -- but immediately suggested surgery. Had surgery about 4 days later to install a plate and three screws on one side, then a single screw on the other. Was in tremendous pain for months -- foot had to be elevated or pain was awful. Did my PT (a MUST!!! -- hurt sooo bad, but stuck with it) and according to therapist got as much movement (dorsaflexion) as could be expected with the hardware in place. Since approx 6 month post surgery, I have been walking for exercise (was former a runner), and generally walk at a fast pace about 15-18 miles a week. My ankle has healed very well with no sign of AV (blood flow is good as far as Xrays show), however I have a good deal of arthritic pain. Have tried the Glucosamine and it helps SOME, but still alot of arthritic pain and bad dorsaflexion. Ankle stiffens up if I sit for 20 minutes (and of course is terrible in the am).In Jan 2008, had the single screw removed and that helped a little with pain and mobility. Considering having the three screws removed in hopes of increased movement and decreased pain. My surgeon said that 'most people' have less pain 2 yrs post surgery, but that they are unable (unwilling??) to be as mobile as I have been.

Very concerned about arthritis this bad this early in life ... with anyone with hardware (and 2 + years post surgery), have you considered having it removed? What is your level of activity? I will check into rolfing -- worth a try!

I just wanted to post a positive note because I know where everyone is at with this injury and how life-altering it truly can be. BUT, things can improve and it does get easier, after you deal with it.
    I broke my talus in a cheerleading injury 6 years ago. I had a horrible doctor who "tried" to fix it and ended up giving me staph infection. 7 surgeries, 3 months in a wheelchair and a year later, I could barely walk and PT wasn't helping at all. They released me after two months and told me that there was nothing they could do to help me. So, I learned to deal with it and I limped whenever I sat for more than 5-10 mins. I would wake up and barely be able to walk; the only thing that would help was standing in a hot shower for 20-25 minutes. This went on for the first three years.
    Now, six years later, I exercise on a bike, or swim and walk atleast 2-3 times a week. It was very painful to exercise at first, but it does get easier. I still have no movement in my ankle, but I'm so used to it that I'm automatically careful when I walk or watching where I step; it becomes the same as learning to walk without having to do those things.
    When the weather changes, I still have some minor pains, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be! There are times that if I walk too much, say shopping or on vacation that my ankle will still get swollen, but a little bit of Aleve BEFOREHAND truly can help prevent the problem!
    I really hope that somebody will read this and feel like there is still hope. It is a completely different way to live life, but it's tolerable. I would much rather be able to run again and chase my children, but knowing that it could have been worse and that I'm lucky that I can still walk at all is what keeps me going.

Default There is Hope!

About 5 years ago I fractured/crushed my talus in my left ankle while rock climbing.
    I thought it was sprained and didn't go to the doc till the next day when it was blue and green and three times the normal size (oops) anyway, long long story short I was in a hard cast for 3 months and a walking cast for another 3 months. The break was so bad that no surgery could be done. I suffered tremendous pain for the first 2 almost 3 years. My ankle was often swollen, my achilles hurt and felt like it might pop (which I worried about all the time) and I walked with a large limp...especially in the mornings or when I was on my feet too much. I went through a depression b/c overnight my life changed. I use to run, bike, rock climb, everything...and then suddenly I felt handicapped.
    About 2 years ago I decided that I was going to take control of this injury. Luckily by then the pain had subsided quite a bit. I worked very hard on the things I could do...One being nutrition. Getting Calcium, Vitamin D and other vitamins and minerals is much easier for our bodies to absorb when in food form versus supplements. So I have incorporated Green Smoothies into my diet daily (Read the Book "Green for Life")...I also worked on strengthening the muscles around my ankle and sides of my legs...yoga poses and balancing on your leg helps with this. Now I swim and bike and I am trying to jog a little bit. I also lift weights which is SO important for bone strength and healing. Blood flow is really important with this injury and acupuncture and massage helps too.
    Now my ankle rarely hurts me. Sometimes my hip will ache due to compensation from my lack of mobility in my ankle, and sometimes my achilles still aches...but for the most part I am pain free...(I do feel the bad weather coming )
    There is hope! It is easy to feel weak when you suffer an injury like this and that takes your power away. But tell yourself you are strong and you can overcome this.
    I think the main thing is nutrition and staying active so you don't gain weight. That will cause chronic pain with this injury.
    Hope this helps!