Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Page 145 of 451 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 4509

Default Back home...

Hi all. Back home on friday from hospital. Had a little longer stay because of an unexplained fever.

Nice to be back home. Firstly, thanks to all of you for the good wishes and encouragement. Michelle, Squashpain and Dave special thanks to you guys for all your help. You guys are all a great bunch.

Day 8 today....

Doing about 25-50% weight bearing (with walker or crutches) with no extra pain
    Listening to advice and otherwise taking it slow
    Starting to lightly massage scar to break down scar tissue - found that useful on previous surgery
    Keep brace for around 75% waking time but take if off at night - my doctor has been very relaxed about brace - also 30% flexion at hip from start
    On only minimal pain meds

Glad to see some folks are slowly but surely beating this down. Also for those having difficulties my prayers and best wishes -- we know you will get there.

Hopefully will have some time to read thru all the posts in more detail....and time I now have in plenty!!!

cheers
    Khush

Welcome home Khush! Sounds like you're doing the right things and being smart. Glad to hear you're not having too much discomfort. Rest, and let your body do it's job now)
    Michelle

Welcome home Khush. I am still wearing my brace 24/7 and it will be 4 weeks tomorrow. My doc is not so relaxed. I go see him on Tuesday, so hopefully he will let me get out of it in a couple of weeks. I too have worked on the scar tissue especially with the PT. It does help. I get twinges of pain from time to time and think it is probably everything waking up. Take care and good luck. It sounds as if all is going well for you.

Well everyone, Mom is still hanging in there. She is trying to keep a sense of humor, but as you can imagine, it gets difficult. I still can't see her like I'd like since there is nowhere for me to sit in her present room. She should have a private room sometime next week and I can take a recliner from her house to sit in. I think it will be good for both of us to finally get to spend some time together. In the mean time, my oldest brother sent the following email to me. (He lives in Colorado and has not come to see mom since her stroke on Aprill 22nd.) Needless to say I don't have much to say to him. I believe in God, the power of prayer, and positive thoughts. I just can't afford to let him get me down. Anyway the following is what I just received from him:

A stroke is a true human tragedy. The worst. The following are extremely likely to happen:

1) the victim, if they have their faculties, will become lonely, depressed, and resentful of being alone. Life becomes negative.

2) the victim's support group of family and friends CANNOT sit with them all day, every day unless they CHOOSE to give up their own lives. Life becomes negative.

3) those who do choose to give up their own lives to be the caregiver will either accept that roll as THEIR choice, or they will become resentful of those who go on with their own lives or cannot be an equal caregiver. Life becomes negative.

4) those who do go on with their lives often feel as though they are abandoning the victim. This is unfortunate as it is not true.

5) the above results in the true tragedy of the stroke. It negatively impacts all concerned with no answer--other than acceptance that each will only be capable of what they can do.

5) NONE of the above is likely to be accepted by all and there can be damaging and unnecessary resentment between family members.

My commitment is to check on my mother frequently and visit when possible. I will support the needs when my participation can be useful or positive. I refuse to participate in the negativity or depression. I will go on with my life, knowing that one day I might be the one in the diapers. If I must endure this tragedy personally, and if I am fortunate, I will be alone so as not to negatively impact those who cared about me.

Isn't that sad?

Wow. Katie:
    Like you need this. Isn't there enough drama going around? He certainly is missing the attention or something. I think I would just respond with a couple of lines along the lines of "Everybody has to do what they feel is right. We all have expectations and disappointments in which we have ot live with." That's about all I'd say. I mean, why feed the fire. Wow. I'm so sorry he isn't stepping up to the plate. My guess is this is nothing new. Such a shame. I have a brother who is similar. Needs mom's help now but God forbid anyone ever needs his.

I hope your mom continues to improve. And I am glad you are healing well too.

Welcome home Khush. Nothing like your own bed.

Tricia

Katie...what can I say.....actually, I really don't know what to say. I hope you are able to find the energy and love that it takes to do what you have to do in support of your mom, and continue on the path of healing yourself. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, with hopes that you find the rights answers for yourself.
    Michelle

Hi all,
    I chose not to respond to my brother's email. I would rather put my energies on Mom and myself and hope for our recoveries. She did well in PT today according to her therapists! So that's good. I went to PT today as well. I am still on PROM and am on week 4. I will begin activie range next week. I see the doctor tomorrow. Are any of you that are wearing the waist to knee brace getting bruised from the brace? I have lost weight and I just don't think it fits right. It also seems to pull on the incision. It feels better when I undo it when I lie down. Everyone have a wonderful healing week.
    Katie

Sorry, I seem to have "hogged" the site. Thanks Michelle and Tricia for the encouragement. How is everyone????? I guess working hard at PT.
    Happy healing,
    Katie

Hi Katie,

Get the doctor to adjust the brace when you go. There will be some atrophy in the leg that will change the fit. I wish I had lost weight while I was in the brace. Things will really start to pick up at PT once you start the AROM. You will be suprised how much progress you will start making. Hang in there. You will be better in no time. Glad your Mom is doing well at PT. It's amazing what they can do these days.

Be well, Ned

Katie-My incision was actually in no contact with the brace. The strap fit right about the knee and around the waist. The space in betweem was clear of the brace. Sound like you need an adjustment, or for it to be loosesned. I didn't start PT til I was 6 weeks! Congrats to you. Glad to hear your mom is responding to PT. Good for you that you are picking your battles. Your brother will have to deal with his own issues on his own!