Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Page 216 of 452 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 4520

Dave,
    I had this injury, COMPLETE seperation of the hamstring tendon, while waterskiing 15 years ago, my doctor never sent me for surgery. So I hobbled around on crutches for a couple of months and gradually got back to walking. Was never referred for an MRI or surgery. There was blood and bruising from my glutes to my ankles for 2 months. was trying to get out of the water on 1 ski, heard a pop, excruciating pain, etc... anyway, I since got married, have 5 kids now, got nemployed as a letter carrier and walk 7 miles a day up and down steps, am very active with the kids, soccer, biking, etc... just discovered recently that I should have been referred for surgery! see my other post from today Dan (dande)

Dan,
    It sounds like your injury hasn't slowed you down one bit! That's great to hear. I'll bet your kids keep you pretty active and busy. That's encouraging for me as my injury wasn't a complete tear. I wish I had an answer to your question concerning what to do about surgery, but I think (only my opinion based on what I've read here and what my surgeon told me) that it will be up to you based on how much does this injury affect your daily life, how much it affects your training and how important is the marathon.

What I'm trying to deal with now is they found a large tumor on the MRI on the same leg as the tear. (7cm x 3.4cm x 2.4cm) I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my hamstring tear but I need to deal with it anyhow.
    Dave

I'm finding out how rare and little known this hamstring injury is. I met with yet another Ortho Surgeon who looked at the MRI and told me that the tendon took a little piece of bone with it when it tore. His statement was, "Surgery for this is only done on elite, olympic-type athletes". He says this will heal just fine with PT. I asked if I would regain the use of the retracted muscles to which he replied,"Sure, it's only retracted just about an inch." So, I will try another 3 weeks of PT (and co-pays) to see if I can get some strength back. Then the tumor comes out! Oh well. I have learned so much from this forum thread and feel like it should be mandatory reading for Ortho Docs. For now, I will go the PT route. I will check on here every once in awhile and see what's up maybe give a progress update. Good luck to all who are recovering and those that are looking at surgery.
    Dave

Dave T, I am new to the blog, 6 days post op. Get a second and 3rd opinion. I was told I didn' t need surgery back in October2011 when i had my injury. My hamstring was a complete avulsion, tearing off a piece of the isschiam bone. I went to PT, and did everything they said to do. At 3 mos. I wasn't getting better. I went to a different surgeon who told me surgery needs to be done as soon as possible after injury. He said it might be too late to get mine fixed. I was SO angry that my first surgeon didn't know this or tell me options. Luckily my hamstring had only avulsed 3 cm. so it was still fixable, but they had to go in and remove the scar tissue that had formed. The longer the wait the harder it is to clean it up for a good repair. I think the first surgeon didn't know much about this injury since it is rare. From what I've read on line, the people who end up experiencing most of the problems are those who do not have surgery.

Hi everyone. I'm carolg. Lost my post, and starting over. I' m 6 days post op, and doing fairly well. I had a completely avulsed hamstring along with piece of this ischiam bone. My injury happened in Oct 2011. I wasted 3 mos. going to PT because my 1st surgeon didn't think I needed surgery. The hamstring just kept falling down farther, and I got worse. My first surgeon referred me to another surgeon, who told me I should have had the surgery immediately, and that by waiting, the injury can become irrepairable and you can have a permanent disability. IF A SURGEON TELLS YOU NOT TO HAVE THIS SURGERY GET A SECOND OPINION! The people who end up having problems are usually the ones who did not have surgery. My injury occured while on vacation with my husband in Key West for Fantasy Fest ( a week long halloween costume celebration). I was leaning up against a sectional, to take off a six inch platform boot that went with my costume. The sectional wasn't connected, and the piece slid away from me across the tile floor. I ended up falling one boot on, one half off, and my left leg whent a direction it is not meant to go. My vacation was ruined along with months and months of my life. The hardest thing for me, is that I went from a quality of life 9, to a 2. I am very active. I love to dance, and bicycle, and I had a fantastic sex life. Then boom. It's all taken away. It's been brutal emotionally. I miss the endorphin rushes of working out, and I have had to give up almost everything that I love to do. My husband has been supportive, and encourages me, but it has been hard for both of us. I am just SO glad that I 've finally had the surgery, and now I can start getting better!

Hey im David. Last may (8 months ago) i hurt my hamstring playing soccer. I fell and went into a split and then someone landed on me. For the next few days the slightest bit of movement hurt my leg. There was also very severe bruising on the back of the injured leg. I was eventually able to start walking pain free after about a week. I decided to go to the doctor after about 8 days as it was still extremely painful to walk up stairs or do anysort of bending at the hip or knee. The doctor said it was a minor tear and said to rest it and contact him again for a referral if i was still feeling it in a few weeks. After a few weeks i decided pt was necessary and began treatment. I was doing ultrasound and sports massage. After about a month of pt i was able to jog again and was discharged and told to take it easy, stretch, do some strengthening exercises. I did all this, and it began to get better. However after i had been doing this for a couple months it still had not started feeling much better. I was still unable to run at a fast pace or put much strain on it still. So i again went in for pt in september. They prescribed the same as before(ultra sound and massage) and also more strengthening exercises. It is now february and i am still doing pt. It has made improvements in strength, flexibility, and overall has been feeling much better but i am still unable to run full speed without pain and demanding exercises still bother it. Also it sometimes hurts while i am sitting for extended period of time. Is it possible that i could have been misdiagnosed and this could actually be a hamstring avulsion even though i am able to still jog and do most light exercises without much discomfort. I brought this up with my physical therapist but they dismissed it saying that hamstrings are just nagging injuries and i need to give it more time. But because avulsions are so rare i am thinking he just doesnt have any experience with them. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as i would really like this to get better. Oh and i am twenty years old, if that has any importance. Thank you
    -David
    Last edited by DavidL; 08-02-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Dan, I found some info on the internet about repairs that were done a dozen years later that were successful. It sounds like each case is different, but if it were me, I would definitely talk to a surgeon who has done a number of these repairs. I'm 52, but I feel like I'm in my late 30's. Those of us who are athletic and keep our bodies healthy, have many years ahead to enjoy being active. I am very pleased with my surgery. The Dr. expects me to get everything back with time, patience, and persistence. I think a year of healing is well worth the 25 (or hopefully more) active years I have left.

David, I think that there is a high probability that you were misdiagnosed. Did they ever give you a MRI? Hamstring avulsions are missed a lot. I had a complete avulsion, and was diagnosed correctly, but then told I didn't need surgery which wasincorrect. I went to PT did what you were doing. I was walking and riding an exercise bile for 1 week, then I lost all strength and was back at square 1. I just had my surgery 6 days ago, after ttrying PT for 3 mos. I've done a lot of reading lately, and looking at case studies. I have yet to find one person who did not have surgery that can do everything they want to do. The leg just doesnt heal right. Complications can happen over time, too, like the sciatic nerve scarring and causing permanent pain. Advocate for yourself, and get them to give you an MRI. You have practically your whole life ahead of you, and becoming lame would be awful. Make sure that you go to a surgeon that has done several avulsion repairs. Surgeons that do not have experience with this make poor decisions that will affect your whole life.Good luck. Carol

Carol, I'm sorry to hear about your injury on your vacation, but, I'm glad you finally had your surgery! I too am frustrated with the first surgeon I saw. He never even looked at my leg. Never ordered any imaging. Just blew it off as a "textbook" hamstring strain. I have had other opinions, only finding 1 surgeon who has done this before. Once. So needless to say, I don't feel real comfy with that surgeon. You mentioned in one of your posts "...quality of life...". I can very much relate! We are a very active family. We went hiking last Sunday and I tried to run...no wait...jog to keep up with the kids. It was useless. (Although, the kids thought it was great to finally beat Dad) This put me into a 2 day state of depression.

I am tired of getting lumped into an age bracket as well. The one surgeon who has performed this surgery before kept saying,"When you get to be our age.....blah blah blah". I'm 48. Active.(Martial Arts, hiking, running, biking) He's 60 and can't touch his toes.

I am now focusing on getting enough strength back to get through surgery to remove a large tumor in my thigh muscle they found on the MRI. (THAT was a nice surprise) Another source of frustration is finding a surgeon in the area experienced with this. But, that's a whole other story

Carol, keep us informed of your recovery. It is encouraging to hear you are on your way to getting back your life.

DavidL, your situation is exactly what I want to avoid. Months of PT (and co-pays$$) and still not be able to run. I agree with Carol and get an MRI if you didn't and get other opinions. This is a rare inury. Surgeons experienced with this, even more rare.

Dave, I'm sorry to hear about the tumor you have to deal with. Is it up by the injury? or farther down? Since they have to go in anyway do you want to have the repair done at the same time? I know that sometimes surgeons have to open the leg farther to make other repairsfarther down. Luckily I have a brother who is a Dr. and a hospital administrator, so after I received inadequate medical care from the first surgeon I called my brother and asked for help locating a surgeon that had some experience. I live in Des Moines Iowa, so I thought I would have to go out of state for surgery, but I found surgeons with experience here and didn't have to leave. My brother researched this injury/surgery, and found out that if a surgeon does 5 of these a year, that is high volume for this rare injury. Most states have a larger medical center that deals with more complicated surgeries. I would have gone to Minneapolis, if I hadn't found someone here. That is four hours away from me. Travel is a huge issue, but my husband and I decided we would take the back seats out of our van and put an air mattress in to get me home. We could have rented a vehicle that had a bed in it as another option. Where do you live? I have been finding names of surgeons with experience as I have researched this injury. The Dr. that did my surgery is young and has done 2 to 3 a year. It takes 2 surgeons to do this surgery, and the 2nd surgeon was older and more experienced. They did an excellent job. Also, I hear you about the age thing. My husband is 49, a hockey player, rides his bicycle about 1000 miles in the 3 seasons we can ride, and he looks 38 or 40. People think I am late 30's or Early 40's. It's funny, because my husband and I love to go to outdoor concerts and social events. We dance and like to party, and the local social paper "juice", is always taking pictures of us! "Juice" is geared for 30 year olds. People who exercise are physiologically younger. Hell, I'm still menstrating at 52 with no end close in sight. I tell my friends that my "body" thinks that I am much younger than I am. Lol. I want to stay young and active, and enjoy life to the fullest! I have an 87 year old artist friend who acts 25, and I love her! So does everyone else! She has a passion for living life, and she still has boyfriends! She is definitely an inspiration to me. Let me know if you want help finding a surgeon. I can dig up some information. Carol