Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Page 223 of 499 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273323 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 4988

Thanks all for the timeline info on recovery. It really helps us anticipate and plan. Since I have 15 stairs to go up to the bedroom, we are getting a hospital bed downstairs. The question is how long will it be before I can get up the stairs a couple of times a day. The shower is up there. I ask because if I need to be downstairs longer than I month, maybe we should buy a used bed, rather than rent one. Rental is $185 a month.

Thanks for coming back to the forum Richard and Flerdle, it really helps us rookies out with physical and emotional issues.

So I found out that my avulsion was retracted 4 cm. Seems like that's pretty good? Don't even see the doctor until 6 weeks after surgery. Not once. That's seems a little odd. They also told me that I can take the brace off at four weeks post op. When I asked if I start some exercise then or weight bearing, the nurse said she would have someone call me. It's probably not worth it to ask if this is typical since it's such a non-typical injury and the doctors don't all seem to be on the same page as far as post op treatment but it's a little unnerving to not see my doctor until 6 weeks after surgery other than to go to a regular MD to have my stitches out. Anybody have the same experience?

kaug: I saw a nurse at 2 weeks to just get the wound checked, no stitches out since they used absorbing ones.mI saw the surgeon's associate at that same visit as the surgeon was on holidays, it was more of a discussion as to timelines than an examination though. Then I saw the surgeon at 7 weeks which was when he said I could take off the brace.

So probably fairly normal, kaug. There's really not much they can do - it just takes time for things to fuse.

I started physio about 8 weeks. Roedel, your progression seems quite similar to how mine has felt - though no stairs means I got less exercise and challenge!. Good to know I'm not quite as slow as I thought :-).

Welcome Kaug! You had your surgery 2 days after mine, so we are probably about in the same place. Today is week 3 post op. I teach piano out of my home only 2 hours a day, and I can barely do that. It takes so much energy, and I can't sit, and it's hard to stand on one leg that long. Each day I've tried a different piece of furniture to slouch in, but I still haven't found what works. There is no way I could work at school right now, I can't even ride in a car, let alone drive. I admire teachers of sixth graders, because i think that is one of the most difficult grades to teach. If I were teaching sixth grade, I would probably take 6 to 8 weeks off. I am feeling positive about my progress, it is just a long one. I'm glad you hoined the blog!
    Carol

Hi all
    I had my surgical review yesterday - 10 days post surgery. The nurse removed the dressing. The surgeon then came in briefly, the surgery went well, incision area healing well, 4 more weeks in full leg brace, no weight bearing. Did I have any questions. Thanks to the advice offered here I was well prepared and knew what to ask. He has given me a further 4 weeks leave with flexibility to return earlier if I feel able.

I have good mobility with the crutches and use a smal shoulder bag (similar to Kaug'apron) to carry items around in. My main limitation is sitting. Does anyone have advice as to when this might become easier?

Julie

Mobley, that must have been so stressful trying to figure out care for you mother in law while having trouble getting ahold of others. You did an excellent job. I can really empathize with you. I have had those helpless feelings as well. What I've come to know is, I have a sharp mind, and I can figure out solutions to problems, that don't involve me being physically strong enough to do the work myself. Therefore, I am not helpless. My Dad comes to mind, he was a hospital administrator. He had vision on how things should be. He was inspiring, motivating, and brilliant, and he kept things running smoothly. The funny thing is, he couldn't do things himself. He had a horrible sense of direction, and got lost if he was driving. He couldn't adjust the knobs on the t.v., or even get the stereo system to work. Ha ha. But he could make amazing things happen, and he was highly regarded in the community. I think about my Dad now, when I feel helpless, and realize, that I can make things happen too. It may not be the way I usually do things, but I figure out how to get the job done. It's just a small thing, but it meant the world to my 16 year old son, so I made sure it happened. He had his 1 year aniversary with his first love (oh I remember how intense first love is). He wanted to give her a blue rose ( had a deeply romantic meaning between the 2 of them). He had no way to pick up the rose, and asked me to please figure out how to get it for him. Tthe rose only cost him $5. But I called and paid $8. to have it delivered. Simple. Not cosr effective, but worth much more to my son. To me, the most important thing in life is relationships. Although this surgery has been a great challenge for me, I have been able to maintain my relationships. My son still relys on me to listen to his concerns, and issues that he is dealing with in his life, and my ears work just fine. The only difference is he has to come find me in the bedroom, since I still lie down a lot of the time since I can't sit. Although my husband seems to be supporting me more than I him right now, this is a give and take, and I am there for him when he needs me. We are stronger than we know. And sometimes I remember that. : )

Hi all,
    Thanks for your words of encouragement. Carol you really help. Life does these things. I believe there is a reason for everything, even this. This whole experience has really made me appreciate my husband and kids, like you do. You are giving your son what he needs most, your momness. I sit, excuse me, lay in my room and look at all the photos and art that are all the tropical destinations we have been to through the years. So they will be my pictorial inspiration to get through this. I WILL walk again on a beach. I WILL go snorkeling. I WILL have dinner out someday again. Heck, I WILL be able to eat at a dining table in a chair again. Hey, its the little things, right?

Congratulations Julie on getting to 10 days post-op! With all of you as my lead, it will be better for me for surgery next week. Tania, is your surgery Monday or Wednesday? You must be getting nervous like I am. At least we will go through this as a team.
    Mobley

Julie,
    I'm glad to hear you are healing well. I can't sit either, but my Dr. actually told me not to. I 've been given the O.K. to slouch. I guess my hamstring is too tight for sitting yet. I find it hard to slouch. After awhile that hurts too. I go from standing to lying down. I am 3 weeks post op, and back to teaching piano, which is hard, especially not sitting. Maybe someone will have a good solution for us.

Getting to be able to sit actually takes a long time. You're RESTING YOUR WHOLE BODY WEIGHT ON MAJOR SURGICAL TRAUMA for goodness sake :-)

With a leg brace on you'll just be uncomfortable no matter what, so just slouch, sit on the good side more, use pillows, whatever. At table, make sure you sit near a corner so your brace leg can be in the best place. Take up space. Put another chair or stool to the good side to lean on slightly (works well for the loo). Get up and down a lot, do NOT expect to be able to sit for more than a few minutes at a time.

Once it is off it's a lot better, but will still take a few weeks. I think I was maybe two and a half to three months before it was suddenly one day 'hey, I'm sitting and it's pretty ok.'

Thanks Flerdle. I tend to expect too much too soon. 2 and a half -3 months is how long it took for me to be able to sit when I was going through conservative treatment. After the surgery I was back to square 1. I will be patient. It will be wonderful to sit again, as it will be great to get off crutches. It's been 4 months already on crutches, and my armpits are sore. Most likely only one more month to go. I'm trying to look at the positive. Some days are easier than others.