Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Default small intrasubstance tear of the subscapularis tendon

Hi. Great site with a wealth of info. Thanks.

I have had headaches, intermittent pain and tightness in my R shoulder & neck for past 2 -3 months. Had massages, acupuncture, heat etc and an ultrasound yesterday that says I have a small intrasubstance tear of the subscapularis tendon. I had a fall early last year and a hairline fracture was diagnosed in my R elbow. No treatment just rest.

Do I need to see an orthopaedic surgeon? The GP has no idea. Or will it heal over time?

Unfortunately I am self employed, do a lot of computer work and training (carrying all equipment with me) and so cant afford to not use a computer. Im in Sydney. I have previously seen Warwick Bruce at Concord for my lack of cartilages in my L knee due to a very old sports injury and thought maybe I should see Jerome Goldberg.

Thanks

Super Moderator

Hi there,

I would see a good sports physician as a starting point. There are some good sports physicians in Sydney. I've heard that Seamus Dalton is particularly good with shoulders. Otherwise, Nathan Gibbs and John Orchard are meant to be very good.

My GP was absolute useless with my joint problems. I have been seeing a sports physician for more than 5 years now and has much more of an idea how to manage my joint problems.

You may not need to see a surgeon. 90% of sports injuries don't require surgery.

Good luck !!!

Hi
    If its only a small tear then theres no reason why you would need surgery, at least not in the first instance. This would be reserved for larger tears and ruptures, or when conservative treatment has failed.

Theres lots of treatment and rehabilitation that you may find helpful, such as strengthening all rotator cuff muscles to take the strain off the subscapularis. You can find out more about rotator cuff tears and rehabilitation here

Super Moderator

Sound advice, but there is no replacement for professional advice. Each individual is different.

Wink Thanks

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have been reading the emails just haven't had time to log on. I have started rehab on my shoulder, still continuing with acupuncture, massage and homeopathic treatment. So its just wait and see. Swimming next I'm told.

Cheers. Julie