Welcome to the Injury Update Forum.

Exclamation TV Documentary Series - Looking for injury stories...

Hi,

My name is Scott Browning and I am a Researcher with Beyond Productions in Sydney. We have recently been commissioned by Channel 7 to produce a new documentary series about sports injuries and I'm currently on the lookout for stories to follow for the show...

For the show we are looking at following professional athletes, who have been injured, through the course of their surgery, physio, rehab and eventual return to full health. Ideally we are looking for stories where there is video footage of the accident. We are open to all sports.

If you have recently been injured in a match, or know of a friend who has - and would be willing to share your story with us I would love to hear from you. We will be in production until early-mid 2010 and broadcast nationally sometime around mid 2010.

My contact details are;

Scott Browning
    Researcher
    Beyond Productions
    W: 02 9437 2022
    E: scott_browning@beyond.com.au

Thank you. If you think you would be a good story, or would simply like more information, please get in contact...

All the best,

Scott

Administrator

Good post, hope you get a few replies. Only reluctance may be that professional athletes sometimes don't like reminding the market that their value may have diminished a bit with a major injury like a reconstruction. Someone on a 4 year contract might be happy to put their hand up!

Hope you get the budget licence to do at least 1 x amateur athlete from each of Australia and New Zealand. I think there is a massive story for an indepth doc program like you are doing to point out:
    (1) Average punter in Australia is up for a few grand at least of out of pockets if he/she is unlucky enough to require a knee reconstruction. If no private health insurance this could be over ten grand. Massive expense for someone who loves their sport just to get back on the park.
    (2) By comparison, New Zealand have a system, fully funded by the government, which pays 100% of expenses - including even missed wages - for anyone in NZ who suffers a sporting injury. This includes full surgeon fee for your choice of surgeon with no waiting list, all physio expenses etc. etc., pretty much exactly the same deal as you get for a worker's comp injury.
    (3) Because we have an arrogance that we can never learn anything from a small country like NZ, this fact never gets mentioned by the media and less than 1% of Australians would be aware that our smaller sister country has a much better system for looking after people that are doing the right thing by exercising and playing sport than we do.

Hopefully can be an episode where you follow some poor kid from the Western suburbs of Melbourne or Sydney make his family go into debt paying for his/her knee reco out of pockets and all the financial stress they go under, then compare to a poor kid from an Islander family in New Zealand that gets the red carpet treatment from their system. Would be even better if you could let the Aussie family know that this is all free in NZ and ask them whether they think Kevin Rudd's mob are serious about tackling the obesity problem.

If you search around this website you'll see I have been ranting on about this for at least 7-8 years but it doesn't get a run in our media ever. No one wants to run a story of "The Kiwis are getting it right where we are getting it wrong". However, with respect to sports injuries in Australia it is the elephant in the room. I see so many junior kids in rugby league with no private health insurance whose life gets tunred upside down by a sports injury their family can't afford to treat. It is very sad but a forgotten or neglected problem in our country.
    The staff of injury update are not responsible for views of other users posted in this forum.

Has there been any update on this? I am interested to see how your project is going.

Also I would like to add that I remember reading about how in Sweden the government have a register to track the outcomes of ACL reconstructions, I believe the aim is to help make the system better and more effective, as well as probably having the added benefit of seeing the surgeons success rates so one can make a more informed decision.

With all the time and money societey loses from ACL reconstructions each year, having it all managed and made more efficient/cost effective probably would save a lot of money. Something like that would be too progressive for our country I think.

im not sure