I injured my shoulder on Sunday. I got an x-ray at the hospital and was told I had a grade 2 dislocation. I was given a sling and told to return to the 'fracture clinic' today (tuesday). Everyone I spoke to afterward seemed to think that they should have relocated it in emergency. I figured this would happen at my appt today.
My appt at the 'fracture clinic' lasted 5 minutes. They didn't look at my shoulder but examined the x-ray. I was told that a relocation was not necessary for a grade 2 dislocation, that it may further damage ligaments and I should start to increase my movement and strength as pain allows. I handed back my sling and walked out.
Checking the net now, all articles say to begin with relocation. I'm confused and don't want my shoulder further weakened by not being relocated properly. Happy to begin recovery if really okay to do so. I would appreciate any advice from peopel here. Should I get a 2nd opinion or is this good practice now.
I would recommend going to see a good sports physician that is good with shoulders.
It is really important as far as I know that the shoulder is relocated back.
Often public hospitals don't know how to treat musculoskeletal problems very well, especially in an emergency department.
I agree with KJ, accept that you may find it difficult to get an appointment with a sports doc on such short notice.
Find a GOOD sports medicine clinic and ask for a shoulder SPECIALIST. Make sure they are experienced with shoulders and then see them first. They will also have a connection with a sports doc or orthopod so the wait may be shorter.
There was someone else on this shoulder site recently who was also from Adelaide. If yo go back through some of the postings I am sure you will find them because they found a good clinic. If you can't find it ring the crows or port footy clubs and ask where they send their players for assessment.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Whereabouts are you based ? If you're in Adelaide there are some good sports physicians/doctors there.
It is so important to get the right treatment from the beginning.
Thanks for the responses I'm in Brisbane.
The pain isn't excruciating so my assumption was that it must be somewhat relocated on its own?? I'm just not sure and would like the piece of mind so I can get back on my bike asap. It just seems to get stiffer over time and aches from there, geeting quite sore now as i type with both hands. Only sharp pain if i move it too far but my range of movement is improving. I do have quite a noticeable lump above the shoulder. This seems more visible now that some of the swelling has subsided. How does this sound to you guys?
Anyway, it sounds like it is worthwhile getting another opinion. I could try to get another appt at the orthopedic unit at the hospital (where I went for the appt on Tues). Otherwise I guess i can pay to see a sports physio with shoulder experience as you suggest. Any recommedations would be great. I'll do some research online as well.
I would highly recommend going to see a good sports physician. Matt Hislop is a sports physician with an elite rugby club in Brisbane. He works at Brisbane Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Centre. Website link as follows, http://www.bosmc.com.au/contact.htm Contact number is 07) 3834 6635.
Wouldn't waste your time going to see another doctor at the Orthopaedic clinic of the hospital you went to. By seeing a sports physician they will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis. Then, they can advise on the best type of treatment.
Good luck. Let us know how you go.
You have a shoulder separation, not a dislocation. for a grade two, the accepted inital treatment plan is rest. Your bump may slightly go down if its a grade two, but you should have an x ray to make sure its 2 not 3...
I had gr 3 6 weeks ago...
kjwilkin, thanks for the contact. I was looking at their site. A specialist shoulder phsyio called 'The Shoulder Guy'- Luke Van Every, also came up in my search. I might give them both a call and see what they say.
Thanks for your reply as well Scottah. That eases my mind somewhat..
Will let you know how I get on.
You would be much better off getting a diagnosis from a doctor rather than see a physio. Then, they can advise on the most appropriate treatment.
Let us know how you go.
Ah, I'm with you. Sorry, I'll try to get an appt with BOSMC.